Friday, December 4, 2009

The New Journey Begins…
Every journey starts with that first step. It seems that now the fog is lifted and I am finding myself at a fork in the road of my journey. I am being pushed to make a life altering decision. All signs point to the right which is where my family is, and I can see that to the left is barren stretch of road that is just empty. I have been doing a lot of soul searching over the past few days. We have sat down together and talked this through and thankfully, my family is supportive of what I’m going through and what I will be going through in the future. I understand I cannot do this alone. I need help; I’m the first to admit it. I went to see my primary care doctor and his opinion was that a rehab facility is the best place for me to get better. Of course, at first I balked at it, however the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.If you’ve never seen the movie “28 Days”, I highly recommend you watch it. I’m like the character Sandra Bullock portrays in most ways. No, I don’t start drinking when I get up, but I do go over the limit more than I should. I have so many triggers at the moment, and need to step away, and learn how to cope with the fact the inconveniences will always there, but I need to look away and focus on something more positive. I plan on starting with the kids and being a better father figure. This is just one a million positive steps for me, as well as, for my family.Today (Fri. 12/04/2009) is the day when I talk to my addiction (formerly known as “best friend”) and tell it we’re done. I made a decision, beginning tomorrow, I need to go to the right of the fork, and let go and let my whole support group and God help me. I’ve never gotten a bad gift from God, and a whole lot of factors have led me here. So here I go, taking a deep breath and taking 1 step at a time…

No comments:

Post a Comment